Wednesday, June 1, 2011

The Intro.........

This is my second blog post ever. I have been reading blogs for awhile now, and I realized that I had to get in on the mix, so here I am. A coupla things about me. I am a mother of three great kids, one going off to college next year, and have a been happily married for almost 20 years. My husband realized pretty early on that I have always had a tendency to buy direlect pieces of furniture and try to rehabilitate them. It wasn't until...



the garage was overflowing that he said enough!!! and subsequently persuaded me to open a small space at the Pasadena Antique Center.


 Not to be longwinded but over the last two years I have opened more spaces there and finally settled on a very large space upstairs. You know I hear that is has a reputation for being


 old ladyish, you know doilies,





 dark and just old fashiony

  and I am here to say....

It isn't.. it really isn't,there are so many dealers with so much cool stuff. It really helps if you know what kind of look you want to achieve.Because just like choosing paint, all of it can be totally overwhelming.

What I will tell you what it really is (in my opinion), is a bunch of adults in close proximity on a regular basis, and each one of us has our idiosyncrasies(spell-check)  so yeah.......its a big dysfunctional family but a family nonetheless. So if you are rude or ask for discounts that are totally ridiculous( ex:  one guy who comes in and always expects to get a 65% discount) you will get talked about...for real. I also hate playing this game with pricing like if I asked a totally reasonable price people still want a hefty discount so you always have to price up for the discount for which they are inevitably going to ask for. Shit when I first started going there who knew to ask for a discount?  I mean people who are not designers are asking for like BIG discounts,  if people really knew what it takes.....ugh they would STILL ask for a discount. I know there have been times when dealers have not always been on their best behaviour as well, and since I can't speak for them, I will speak for me. I try to do the best I can.....really...but sometimes its hard. I will expound on that subject on other posts..... cause I got some stories.......................

So on Memorial Day after selling uno pillow, my husband said let's go to Silverlake and look around. Of course I thought what a great idea.. Let's go down to Vivier and Bentley,



the uber cool store with uber cool bags.  He had no idea what the hell I was talking about... but yo I did..... all dem bags, with all dem colors. You know I luv to collect stuff .....but I give the guy a break and buy just one.
 One awesome green clutch.

BTW Claire is really nice, mellow, and sweet. I asked if business was good around the area, but you know shit like that is all relative, besides her bags are kinda becoming like a cultish cool status symbol, (I am so not cool)  I really can't compare selling great handbags (at a great price too) with reworked vintage furniture but hell my husband didn't realize that. Honey I was on a convert mission, taking no prisoners.  Looking for a new space was a terrific excuse to buy a kick-ass clutch...by the way...

No comments:

Post a Comment